Areas of ExpertiseBeef Cattle
Beef Cattle Reproductive Physiologist
Beef Cattle Reproductive Physiologist
- Postdoctoral, Reproduction/Biotechnology, Colorado State University, 1995
- Ph.D., Reproductive Biology, University of Wyoming, 1993
- M.S., Animal Science, Montana State University, 1987
- B.S., Animal Science, North Dakota State University, 1985
PREVIOUS POSITIONS HELD
- Reproductive Physiologist, West Central Research and Extension Center, University of Nebraska, August 2002-present
- Extension Beef Specialist, Montana State University, July 1998-July 2002
- Assistant Professor, Animal Science, Chadron State College, August 1995-June 1998
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physiology, Colorado State University, September 1993-August 1995
- Graduate Research Assistant, Animal Science, University of Wyoming, September 1990-August 1993
- Nutritionist/Sales Manager, Woody's Feed and Grain, Dickinson, ND, January 1989-August 1990
- Sales Representative, Moorman's Feed Company, Bismarck, ND, October 1988-January 1989
- Extension Agent, Montana State University, Scobey, MT, August 1987-October 1988
- Graduate Research Assistant, Animal/Range Sciences, Montana State University, July 1985-July 1987
AWARDS & HONORS
- Rodeo Scholarship, NDSU, Fargo
- Alpha Zeta Honorary Fraternity, NDSU, Fargo
- Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society, UW, Laramie
- American Society of Animal Science Scholarship Award
- Director's Award for Excellence for leadership in the MT Beef Network
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS AND SERVICE
- Rodeo Team Coach, Chadron State College
- Co-advisor of Agriculture Club, Chadron State College
- Co-advisor of Pre-Vet Club, Chadron State College
- American Socience of Animal Science
- Western Beef Resourse Committee Member
- Montana Representative for ADDS National Beef Infobase
- WRCC-110 Nutrition COmmittee
- Western Section of the American Society of Animal Science Extension Committee
- Western Section Extension Committee (chair and symposium coordinator; 2001)
- Beef QUestions and Answers Newsletter Co-editor
- State Beef Quality Assurance Advisory Board
- MT State 4-H Livestock Committee
- MT State 4-H Livestock Sale Committee
- Fort Keogh Information Technology Committee
- Gate to Plate Organization and Planning Committee
- Cow Capital Beef Conference Planning Committee
- Fort Keogh Field Day Planning Committee and MC for Presentations
- Bovine Connection Planning Committee
- January Thaw Planning Committee
- Multi-state - Fort Keogh, Bi-annual Agent/Specialist Symposium, Organizer
- State Beefability Coordinator
- Member of GSL planning committee
- Faculty coordinator for beef cattle research and facilities at WCREC
- Member of the North Central Region Bovine Reproductive Task Force
- Editorial board for Journal of Animal Science
- NCBA Beef Production Research Committee
- Heifer development
- Re-breeding of the first-calf heifer
Refereed Journal Articles
- Funston, R.N. , D.C. Adams, and M.C. Stockton. 2007. Dried distillers grains as creep feed for yearling beef cattle grazing sandhill range. Prof. Anim. Sci. 23:170.
- Martin, J.L., K.A. Vonnahme, D.C. Adams, G.P. Lardy, and R.N. Funston. 2007. Effects of dam nutrition on growth and reproductive performance of heifer calves. J. Anim. Sci. 85:841.
- Martin, J.L., A.S Cupp, R.J. Rasby, Z.C. Hall, and R.N. Funston. 2007. Utilization of dried distillers grains for developing beef heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 85:2298.
- Harris, H.L., A.S. Cupp, A.J. Roberts, and R.N. Funston. 2008. Utilization of soybeans or corn milling co-products in beef heifer development diets. J. Anim. Sci. 86:476–482
- Martin, J.L., K. W. Creighton, J.A. Musgrave, T.J. Klopfenstein, R.T. Clark, D. C. Adams, and R. N. Funston. 2008. Effect of pre-breeding body weight or progestin exposure before breeding on beef heifer performance through the second breeding season. J. Anim. Sci. 86:451–459
Manuscripts & Proceedings
- Isle, B.R., J.D. Kirsch, S. Paasch, K.G. Odde, R.N. Funston, G.P. Lardy, and K.A. Vonnahme. 2007. Growth and attainment of puberty in heifers from cows supplemented with linseed meal during early lactation. Proc. West. Sec. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. 58:.
- Funston, R.N. 2007. Fetal programming. Proc.Tri-state cow/calf symposium. Benkelman, NE.
- Funston, R.N. 2007. Nutrition and reproduction interactions. Proc. Applied Reproductive Strategies in Beef Cattle. Billings, MT. Pp. 163-179.
- Martin, J.L., R.N. Funston, D.T. Clopton, H.L Harris, and A.S. Cupp. 2006. Vascular endothelial Growth factor (VEGF) 120 but not VEGF164 expression is increased in granulose cells of bovine dominant follicles due to nutrition. Biol. Reprod. (Suppl. 1):148.
- Martin, J.L., D.C. Adams, and R.N. Funston. 2007. Effects of dam winter grazing system and protein supplementation on progeny performance. J. Anim. Sci. 85 (Suppl. 2):119.
- Larson, D.M. and R. N. Funston. 2007. Effect of wintering system and level of nutrition around the time of breeding on gain and reproduction in beef heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 85 (Suppl. 2):119.
- Greenquist, M.A., T.J. Klopfenstein, L. Lomas, D. Blasi, D.C. Blasi, D.C. Adams, W.H. Schacht, S.E. Morris, K.H. Gustad, R.N. Funston, J.C. MacDonald, and M. Epp. 2007. Summary analysis of yearling cattle response to distillers grains supplementation. J. Anim. Sci. 85 (Suppl. 2):132.
- Isle, B.R., J.D. Kirsch, S. Paasch, K.G. Odde, R.N. Funston, G.P. Lardy, and K.A. Vonnahme. 2007. Growth and attainment of puberty in heifers from cows supplemented with linseed meal during early lactation. J. Anim. Sci. 85 (Suppl. 2):169.
- Griffin , W.A., D.C. Adams, and R.N. Funston. 2007. The effect of delaying initial implant on finishing performance and carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 85 (Suppl. 1):170.
- Funston, R.N. 2007. Dietary lipids and reproduction in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 85 (Suppl. 1):401 (invited).
- Martin, J.L., K.W. Creighton, J.A. Musgrave, D.C. Adams, and R.N. Funston. 2007. Effects of pre-breeding target weight and progestin on reproduction, calving parameters, and re-breeding in beef heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 85 (Suppl. 1):609.