Mary E. DrewnoskiAssociate Professor
Beef Systems Specialist
- Ph.D., North Carolina State University, Animal Science & Nutrition 2009
- M.S., North Carolina State University, Animal Science 2006
- B.S., Berea College, Agriculture and Natural Resources 2004
- Associate Professor, Beef Systems Specialist, University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2019-present
- Assistant Professor, Beef Systems Specialist, University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2014-2019
- Assistant Professor, Beef Nutrition, University of Idaho 2012-2014
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Feedlot Nutrition, Iowa State University 2009-2012
"She is a part of an interdisciplinary team evaluating Economical Systems for Integrated Crop and Livestock Production in Nebraska. Her current research and extension program is focused on the utilization of crop residues and cover crop forage for backgrounding calves and feeding beef cows."
- Published Peer Reviewed Manuscripts (42 total)
- Professional Meeting Abstracts (52 total)
- Peer reviewed Extension Publications (47 total)
- Experiment Station Reports (20 total)
Peer Reviewed Extension Publications
- Drewnoski, M. E., B. E. Anderson, P. J. Kononoff, and M. E. Reynolds. 2019. Nitrates in Livestock Feeding. NebGuide G1779.
- Drewnoski. M. 2019. Frequently Asked Questions about Grazing Corn Residue Fields with Excessive Downed Corn. BeefWatch Electronic Newsletter. November.
- Drewnoski. M. and D. Redfearn. 2019. Annual Forage Options for July or August Planting. BeefWatch Electronic Newsletter. July
- Drewnoski, M. E. and D. D. Redfearn. 2018. Nutrient Removal by Cows Grazing Corn Residue. CropWatch Electronic Newsletter. November.
- Drewnoski, M. E. and D. Redfearn. 2018. Reducing Nitrate Concerns When Grazing Forage Cover Crops. CropWatch Electronic Newsletter. July.
- Drewnoski, M. E. 2017. Wintering Growing Calves Using Corn Residue: The Value of Bypass Protein. BeefWatch Electronic Newsletter. October.
- Drewnoski, M. E. 2017. Studies Show Minimal Soil Compaction with Winter Grazing. 2017. CropWatch Electronic Newsletter. October.
- Drewnoski, M and D. Redfearn. 2015. Annual Cool-Season Forages for Late-fall or Early-Spring Double-Crop. NebGuide G2262.
Non-Peer-Reviewed Educational Publications
- Why not bag it? Hay and Forage Grower. 2019. August/September. p 29.
- Shrinking silage shrink. Hay and Forage Grower. 2018. August/September. p 20.
- Cereals provide spring grazing option. Hay and Forage Grower. 2018. February. p32.
- Ammoniation: is it something to consider this year? Hay and Forage Grower. 2017. August/September. p8
- Do corn genetics matter when grazing residue? Hay and Forage Grower. 2017. February. p8
- Considerations for using annual forages cost effectively. 2018 Nebraska State of Beef Conference. p 59-64
- Developing a mineral program: combining the art and the science. 2017 Range Beef Cow Symposium Proceedings.
- Myths and merits of grazing corn residue. 2017 Proceedings Driftless Region Beef Conference. p 7-12.
- Brinton, M. M., B. H. Hansen, K. M. Ulmer, Z. E. Carlson, F. H. Hilscher, M. E. Drewnoski., and J. C. MacDonald. 2019. Forage production and calf gains when grazing oats following corn harvest. Translational Animal Science. 3 (Suppl 1): 1641–1645.
- Riley, H. E., K. E. Hales, S. D. Shackelford, H. C. Freetly and M. E. Drewnoski. 2019. Effect of Rapeseed Inclusion in Late-Summer Planted Oats Pasture on Growing Performance of Beef Steers. Nebraska Beef Report. MP106:40-41.
- Lenz, M. E., R. J. Kern, C. E. Orvis, and M.E. Drewnoski. 2019. Nitrate Concentrations of Annual Forages Grown for Grazing in Nebraska. Nebraska Beef Report. MP106:45-46.
- Conway, A. C., R. G. Bondurant, H. F. Hilscher, J. C. MacDonald, T. J. Klopfenstein and M. E. Drewnoski. 2018. Effect of Harvest Method and Ammoniation of Corn Residue on Growing Calf Performance. MP105:57-59.
- Lenz, M. E., J. L. Cox, K. Hales, H. C. Wilson and M. E. Drewnoski. 2018. Late Summer Planted Oat-Brassica Forage Quality Change during Winter Grazing. MP105:60-62.
- Lenz, M.E., J. K. Farney, R. J. Kern, C. E. Orvis and M. E. Drewnoski. 2019. Nitrate toxicity in annual forages: survey of beef producer perspectives and samples submitted to a commercial testing laboratory in Nebraska. Applied Animal Science. 35:455-463. https://doi.org/10.15232/aas.2019-01865
- Lenz, M.E., J. L. Cox-O’Neill, K. E. Hales, and M. E. Drewnoski. 2019. Nutritive Value Change During the Fall of Late-summer Planted Oats, Turnips and Radish. Crop Forage and Turfgrass Management. doi:10.2134/cftm2018.12.0097
- Redfearn, D., J. Parsons, M. Drewnoski, M. Schmer, R. Mitchell, J. MacDonald, J. Farney, and A. Smart. 2019. Assessing the Value of Grazed Corn Residue for Crop and Cattle Producers. Agricultural and Environmental Letters. doi:10.2134/ael2018.12.0066 .
- Drewnoski, M. E., J. Parsons, H. Blanco, D. Redfearn, K. Hales and J. MacDonald. 2018. Can Cover Crops Pull Double Duty: Conservation and Profitable Forage Production in the Midwestern U.S.? J. of Animal Sci. doi.org/10.1093/jas/sky026
- Ulmer, K. M., M. Rakkar. H. Blanco, R. J. Rasby, J. L. Cox-O’Neill, J. C. MacDonald and M. E. Drewnoski. 2018. Baling or Grazing of Corn Residue Does Not Reduce Crop Production in Central United States. Agronomy Journal. doi:10.2134/agronj2018.04.0226
- Rakkar, M. M. E. Drewnoski, Ulmer, K. M., R. J. Rasby, J. L. Cox-O’Neill, J. C. MacDonald and H. Blanco. 2018. Grazing Crop Residues Has Less Impact in the Short-Term on Soil Properties than Baling in the Central Great Plains. Agronomy Journal doi:10.2134/agronj2018.03.0224
- Cox-O’Neill, J. L., K. E. Hales, K. M. Ulmer, R. J. Rasby, J. Parsons, S. D. Shackelford, H. C. Freetly, and M. E. Drewnoski. 2017. The effects of backgrounding system on growing and finishing performance, and carcass characteristics of beef steers. J. of Animal Sci. 95:5309-5319.
- Cox-O'Neill, J. L., K. M. Ulmer, M. Rakkar, L. Franzen-Castle, H. Blanco-Canqui, M. E. Drewnoski, J. C. MacDonald, R. J. Rasby. 2017. Perceptions of Crop Consultants and Crop Producers on Grazing Corn Residue in Nebraska. J. of Extension. 55:5: 5RIB2.
- Rakkar, M., M. E. Drewnoski, J. C. MacDonald, T. K. Klopfenstein, R. Driber, and H. Blanco. 2017. Impacts of Cattle Grazing of Corn Residues on Soil Properties after 16 years. Soil Sci. Soc. of America J. 81:414–424.
- Redfearn, D., J. Parsons, and M. E. Drewnoski. 2016. Multidisciplinary Research and Extension Team Evolution: Processes, Outcomes and Strategies. Agricultural and Envir. Letters. doi:10.2134/ael2016.10.0042
Areas of ExpertiseBeef Cattle