Areas of ExpertiseCompanion Animal
Undergraduate Teaching Coordinator
Companion Animal Specialist
- Ph.D. in Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL October, 2004
- M.S. in Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL October, 2001
- B.S. in Agriculture, Minor in Chemistry, Illinois State University, Normal, IL December, 1998
- A.S. in Agriculture Science, Heartland Community College, Bloomington, IL May, 1997
- Associate Professor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, (July, 2013 – present)
- Assistant Professor (Jan. 2009 – June, 2013)
- Assistant Professor of Practice (Jan., 2008 - Dec., 2008)
- Lecturer, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE (February 2006 – present)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL (July 2004 – January 2006)
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL (July 1999 – July 2004)
AWARDS AND HONORS• NACTA Teaching Award of Merit, 2015
- CASNR WEEK Outstanding Teaching Award Winner, 2015
- CASNR WEEK Outstanding Academic Advising Award Winner, 2013
- Gamma Sigma Delta Teaching Award, 2012
- UNL Parents Association Certificate of Recognition for Contributions to Students, 2012 - 2015
- Holling Family Award for Teaching Excellence by Junior Faculty, 2010
- CASNR WEEK Outstanding Academic Advising nominee, 2009 – 2013, 2015
- CASNR WEEK Outstanding Teaching Award nominee, 2007, 2010, 2015
- American FFA Degree, 1997
- Companion Animal eXtensin.org Community of Practice Leadership Committee Chair (2009 – present)
- FAIR (Farm Animal Integrated Research) 2012 Program Planning Committee (2011 – 2012)
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Committees:
- UNL Animal Science Department Undergraduate Advising Improvement Committee Chair (2013 – present)
- UNL Animal Science Department Student Recruitment Committee (2006 – present)
- UNL Animal Science Department Academic Quadrathlon Committee (2006 – present)
- UNL Animal Science Department Internal Advisory Committee (2013 – present)
- UNL College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Distanced and Online Education Steering Committee (2014 – 2015)
- UNL College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Teaching and Learning Improvement Council (2010 – 2013)
- UNL Animal Science Department Undergraduate Teaching and Advising Committee (2006 – 2013)
- Domesti-Pups Board of Directors (2008 – present)
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society of Agriculture (2010 – present)
- American Society of Animal Science (1998 – 2012, 2015 - present)
- 4-H/Youth Companion Animal Programs
- Nebraska State Fair Dog, Cat, and Pet Shows
- Companion Animal and Equine Afterschool Program
- 4-H Companion Animal Challenge
- Rabbit Care Clinics
- Companion Animal Sheltering Symposium
- ASCI/FDST 107: Introduction to Food Technology for Companion Animals
Summary: Overview of the companion animal food industry and career opportunities available.
- ASCI 151: Introductory Companion Animal Biology
Summary: Introductory course in companion animal health, physiology, nutrition, genetics and welfare for high school students through the Advanced Scholars program.
- ASCI 171: Human - Companion Animal Interactions
Summary: Discussion of the roles companion animals play in our society and the bond between companion animals and humans.
- ASCI 251: Introduction to Companion Animals
Summary: Overview of pets, their care, reproduction, behavior, and health issues.
- ASCI 271: Companion Animal Behavior
Summary: Overview of animal behavior and application of behavior principles to describe nomral and problem behaviors of common companion animals.
- ASCI 321: Companion Animal Nutrition
Summary: Digestive anatomy and physiology of companion animals including dogs, cats, small mammals, and exotic species. Emphasis will be placed on unique nutrient requirements of companion animals, pet food formulation, and labeling regulations.
- Karr, L. K., S. E. Pegg, D. Brink, and A. Raymond. 2014. Companion animal and wildlife career day improves career understanding and likelihood of pursuing college degree in related field. J. Extension. 52: webpublished October, 2014: http://www.joe.org/joe/2014october/iw6.php.
- Karr, L. K., T. Lazarowicz, C. M. McGill, and D. Menke. 2013. Faculty Attitudes Toward Advising in a College of Agriculture and Natural Sciences. NACTA J. 57 (2):35-44.
- Karr, L. K., K. A. Norwood and J. Morstad. 2013. Student organization sponsored dog training classes provide experiential learning opportunity for students and community participants. NACTA J. 57 (1): 10-15.
- Anderson, K. P. and L. K. Karr. 2011. Non-Riding 4-H horse contest participants demonstrate increased knowledge and life skill development. J. Extension. 49: webpublished October 27, 2011: http://www.joe.org/joe/2011october/pdf/JOE_v49_5iw2.pdf.
- Anderson, K. P. and L. K. Karr. 2011. Participation on a university equestrian team enhances student's undergraduate experience. NACTA J. 55: 8-13.
- K. Zinn, D. Hernot, N. Fastinger, L. Karr, P. Bechtel, K. Swanson, and G. Fahey. 2008. Fish protein substrates can substitute effectively for poultry by-product meal when incorporated in high quality senior dog diets. J. Anim. Phys. Anim. Nutr. Submitted.
- Fastinger, N. D., L. K. Karr, J. K. Spears, K. S. Swanson, K. E. Zinn, G. M. Nava, K. Ohkuma, S. Kanahori, D. T. Gordon, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2008. A novel resistant maltodextrin alters gastrointestinal tolerance factors, fecal characteristics, and fecal microbiota in healthy adult humans. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. In press.
- B. M. Vester, L. K. Karr, D. J. Tomlinson, K. S. Swanson, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2007. Indicators of zinc status of weanling puppies are affected by dietary zinc concentration. Prof. Anim. Scientist. 23: 448–453.
- Apanavicius C.J., K.L. Powell, B.M. Vester, L.K. Karr, L.L. Pope, N.D. Fastinger, M.A. Wallig, K.A. Tappenden, and K.S. Swanson. 2007. Fructan supplementation and infection affect food intake, fever, and epithelial sloughing from Salmonella challenge in weanling puppies. J Nutr. 137:1923-30.
- Spears J.K., L.K. Karr, L.L. Bauer, M.R. Murphy, and G.C. Fahey, Jr. 2007. In vitro fermentation characteristics of selected glucose-based polymers by canine and human fecal bacteria. Arch Anim Nutr. 61:61-73.
- Pope, L. L., P. L. Utterback, K. J. Bruce, L. K. Karr, N. R. Merchen, C. M. Parsons, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2007. Altering the bed depth in the desolventizer/toaster (DT) used in soybean meal preparation affects chemical composition, protein quality indices, and amino acid digestibility by cecectomized roosters. Feed Sci. Tech. 133: 275-285.
- Karr, L. K., L. L. Bauer, P. L. Utterback, K. E. Zinn, R. L. Frazier, C. M. Parsons, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2006. Chemical composition and nutritional quality of soybean meals prepared by extruder/expeller processing for use in poultry diets. J. Ag. Food Chem. 54:8108-14.
- Middelbos, I. S., L. K. Karr, J. F. Folador, M. Vazquez-Anon, G. Yi, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2006. Effects of dietary supplementation of DL-methionine or 2-hydroxy-4-(methylthio)-butanoic acid on food intake, nutrient digestibility, nitrogen balance, and urinary and blood metabolites in healthy, growing dogs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 60:301-316.
- Folador, J. F., L. L. Bauer, L. K. Karr, P. L. Utterback, C. M. Parsons, C. S. Schasteen, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2006. Fish meals, fish components, and fish protein hydrolyzates as potential ingredients in pet foods. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2752-2765.
- Bruce, K. J., L. K. Karr, K. E. Zinn, L. L. Pope, D. C. Mahan, N. D. Fastinger, M. Watts, P. L. Utterback, C. M. Parsons, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2006. Evaluation of the effects of various soybean processing by-products on nutrient composition and quality of the resultant soybean meal for swine and poultry. J. Anim. Sci. 84:1403-1414.
- Pope, L. L., E. A. Flickinger, L. K. Karr, J. K. Spears, S. Krammer, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2006. Effects of lactoferrin supplementation on food intake, ileal and total tract nutrient digestibility, gastrointestinal microbial ecology, and immune characteristics of ileal cannulated, healthy, adult dogs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 60:10-22.
- Spears, J. K., L. K. Karr, C. M. Grieshop, E. A. Flickinger, B. W. Wolf, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2005. Glycemic, insulinemic, and breath hydrogen responses to low molecular weight pullulan in healthy adult humans. Nutr. Res. 25:1029-1041.
- Spears, J. K., L. K. Karr, C. M. Grieshop, E. A. Flickinger, B. W. Wolf, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2005. Pullulans and g -cyclodextrin affect apparent digestibility and metabolism in healthy adult ileal cannulated dogs. J. Nutr. 135:1946-1952.
- Spears, J. K., L. K. Karr, and G. C. Fahey Jr. 2005. Influence of high molecular weight pullulan or g -cyclodextrin on ileal and total tract nutrient digestibility, fecal characteristics, and microbial populations in the dog. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 59:257-270.
- Karr, L. K., P. L. Utterback, C. Martinez Amezcua, C. M. Parsons, G. C. Fahey, Jr., and N. R. Merchen. 2005. Relative bioavailability of phosphorus and true amino acid digestibility by poultry as affected by soybean extraction time and use of low-phytate soybeans. Poult. Sci. 84:1555-1561.
- Dust, J. M., C. M. Grieshop, C. M. Parsons, L. K. Karr , C. S. Schasteen, J. D. Quigley, III, N. R. Merchen, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2005. Chemical composition, protein quality, palatability, and digestibility of alternative protein sources for dogs . J. Anim. Sci. 83:2414-2422.
- Karr, L. K., C. M. Grieshop, J. K. Spears, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2005. Amino acid, carbohydrate, and fat composition of soybean meals prepared at fifty-five commercial U.S. soybean processing plants. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:2146-2150.
- Karr, L. K., N. R. Merchen, C. M. Grieshop, M. A. Flahaven, D. C. Mahan, N. D. Fastinger, M. Watts, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2004. Ileal amino acid digestibilities by pigs fed soybean meals from five major soybean-producing countries. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3198-3209.
- Karr , L. K., C. M. Grieshop, N. R. Merchen, D. C. Mahan, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2004. Chemical composition and protein quality comparisons of soybeans and soybean meals from five leading soybean-producing countries. J. Agric. Food Chem. 52:6193-6199.
- Karr, L. K., C. M. Grieshop, J. K. Spears, A. R. Patil, G. L. Czarnecki-Maulden, N. R. Merchen, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2004. Estimation of the proportion of bacterial nitrogen in canine feces using diaminopimelic acid as an internal bacterial marker. J. Anim. Sci. 82:1707-1712.
- Karr, L. K., N. R. Merchen, C. M. Grieshop, M. J. E. Smeets-Peeters, and G. C. Fahey, Jr. 2002. Selected gelling agents in canned dog food affect nutrient digestibilities and fecal characteristics of ileal cannulated cogs. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 56:141-153.