Karla WilkeAssociate Professor
Range Management Cow/Calf Specialist
Panhandle Research & Extension Center
Expertise: Cow/calf, growing calf nutrition, alternative feeds, annual forage options, and range management
- Associate Professor of Animal Science
- University of Nebraska, Panhandle Research and Extension Center
- April 2015- present
- Assistant Professor of Animal Science
University of Nebraska, Panhandle Research and Extension Center
July 2009 –April 2015
- Assistant Research Scientist
Texas AgriLife Research, Bushland, TX
August 2007 – June 2009
- Assistant Professor of Animal Science
University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- Texas A&M University B.S. Agricultural Education
- University of Nebraska M.S. Animal Science Ruminant Nutrition
- University of Nebraska Ph.D. Animal Science Ruminant Nutrition
- 2013 Nebraska Range and Conservation Endowment – awarded by the Nebraska Cattlemen Research and Education Foundation - $5000
- 2014 Nebraska Range and Conservation Endowment – awarded by the Nebraska Cattlemen Research and Education Foundation - $5000
Memberships in Professional Organizations:
- American Society of Animal Science
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
- Society for Range Management
- Intensive Cow Productions Systems
- Alternative feeds and by-products (field peas, feed beets, beet pulp)
- Annual forage options
- Range management impacts on forage quality
Selected Refereed Publications:
- Boyd, B.M., A. Jones, L. Franzen-Castle, K. Jenkins, R. Rasby, M. Luebbe, R. Stowell, S.C. Fernando, and G.E. Erickson. 2015. Case Study: Producer concerns and perceptions regarding the effects of methane on cattle production and the environment: A survey of Nebraska producers. Prof. Anim. Sci. 31:601-607.
- Warner, J.M., K. H. Jenkins, R. J. Rasby, M. K. Luebbe, G. E. Erickson, T. J. Klopfenstein. 2015. The effect of calf age at weaning on cow and calf performance and feed utilization by cow-calf pairs. Prof. Anim. Sci. 31:455-461; doi:10.15232/pas.2015-01393
- Judy, J.V., K.H. Jenkins, T.J. Klopfenstein, L.A. Stalker, J. D. Volesky. 2015. Effects of stocking rate on forage nutrient composition of Nebraska Sandhills upland range when grazed in early summer. J. Anim. Sci.93:9:4343-4349.
- Jenkins, K.H., S. A. Furman, J. A. Hansen, T. J. Klopfenstein. 2015. Limit feeding high energy by-product based diets to late gestation beef cows in confinement. Prof. J. Anim. Sci. 31:109-113.
- Musgrave, J.A., J.V. Judy, K. Jenkins, T. Klopfenstein, A. Stalker, 2015. Technical note: Collection and preparation techniques change nutrient composition of masticate collected from esophageally fistulated cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 93(12) 5774-5780.
- Franzen-Castle, L., Jenkins, K., Berger, A. 2014. Utilizing short- and long-term evaluation to measure the impact of a long-standing, multi-state educational venue. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension. 2(3):15-31.
- Nichols, C.A., C.J. Schneider, K.H. Jenkins, G.E. Erickson, S.A. Furman, M.K. Luebbe. 2014. Effects of sugar beet-pulp concentration during grain adaptation and in finishing diets with different corn processing methods on performance and carcass characteristics. Prof. Anim. Sci. 30:318-326.
- Titlow, A.H., M.K. Luebbe, D.L. Lyon, T.J. Klopfenstein, K.H. Jenkins. 2014. Using Dryland Annual Forage Mixtures as a Grazing Option for Beef Cattle. Forage and Grazinglands. doi: 10.2134/FG-2014-0006-RS
- Pesta, A.C., A.H. Titlow, J.A. Hansen, A. Berger, S.A. Furman, M.K. Luebbe, G.E. Erickson, K.H. Jenkins. 2012. Effects of feeding field peas in combination with distillers grains plus solubles in finishing and growing diets on cattle performance and carcass characteristics. Prof. Anim. Sci. 28(5), 534-540.
- Buttrey, E.K., N.A. Cole, K.H. Jenkins, B.E. Meyer, F.T. McCollum, III, S. L.M. Preece, B.W. Auvermann, K.R. Heflin, J.C. MacDonald. (2012) Effects of 20% corn wet distillers grains plus solubles in steam-flaked and dry-rolled corn-based finishing diets on heifer performance, carcass characteristics, and manure characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 90:5086-5098.
- Buttrey, E.K., K.H. Jenkins, J.B. Lewis, S.B. Smith, R.K. Miller, T.E. Lawrence, F.T. McCollum III, P.J. Pinedo, N.A. Cole, and J.C. MacDonald. 2013. Effects of 35% corn wet distillers grains plus solubles in steam-flaked and dry-rolled corn-based diets on animal performance, carcass characteristics, beef fatty acid composition, and sensory attributes. J. Anim. Sci. 91:1850-1865. Doi:10.2527/jas.2013-5029
- Buttrey, E.K., F.T. McCollum III, K.H. Jenkins, J.M. Patterson, B.E. Clark, M.K. Luebbe, T.E. Lawrence, and J.C. MacDonald. 2012. Use of dried distillers grains throughout a beef production system: Effects on stocker and finishing performance, carcass characteristics, and fatty acid profile of beef. J. Anim. Sci. Published ahead of print January 27, 2012 doi:10.2527/jas.2011-4807.
- Luebbe, M.K., J. M. Patterson, K. H. Jenkins, E. K. Buttrey, T. C. Davis, B. E. Clark, F. T. McCollum III, N. A. Cole, and J. C. MacDonald 2012. Wet distillers grains plus solubles concentration in steam-flaked corn-based diets: Effects on feedlot cattle performance, carcass characteristics, nutrient digestibility, and ruminal fermentation characteristics. J ANIM SCI December 6, 2011 jas.2011-4567; published ahead of print December 6, 2011, doi:10.2527/jas.2011-4567.
- Jenkins, K.H., K.J. Vander Pol, J.T. Vasconcelos, S.A. Furman, C.T. Milton, G.E. Erickson, T.J. Klopfenstein. 2011. Effect of degradable intake protein supplementation in finishing diets containing dried distillers grains or wet distillers grains plus solubles on performance and carcass characteristics. Professional Animal Scientist. 27(2011):312-318.
- Jenkins, K.H., J.T. Vasconcelos, J.B. Hinkle, S.A. Furman, A.S. de Mello, jr. L.S. Senartne, S. Pokharel, C.R. Calkins. 2011. Evaluation of performance, carcass characteristics, and sensory attributes of beef from finishing steers fed field peas. Journal of Animal Science 89:1167-1172.
- Jenkins, K.H., J.C. MacDonald, F.T. McCollum III, and S.A. Amosson. 2009. Effects of level of supplementary dried distiller's grains on calves grazing native pastures and subsequent wheat pasture performance. Professional Animal Scientist. 25(2009)596-604.
- Bremer, M.L. and K.H. Jenkins. 2015. Supplementation Needs for Gestating and Lactating Beef Cows and Comparing the Prices of Supplement Sources. G2268. University of Nebraska. http://extensionpublications.unl.edu/assets/html/g2268/build/g2268.htm
- Jenkins, K.H. 2014. Using Sugarbeet Pulp in Rations for Beef Cows. G2239. University of Nebraska. http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g2239/build/g2239.pdf
- Jenkins, K.H. and R. Rasby. 2014. Management Considerations for Beef Cows in Confinement. G2237. University of Nebraska. http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g2237/build/g2237.pdf
- Berger, A., Holman, T., Volesky, J., Jenkins, K. 2013. Utilizing Annual Forages with Limited Irrigation for Beef Cattle during and following Drought. (G2185 ed.). University of Nebraska.
- Rasby, R., K.H. Jenkins, G.E. Erickson. 2013. Beef Report Summaries.
- Jenkins, K.H. and B. Geaumont. 2012. Importance of Structure for Game Bird Production. NebGuide G2155.
- Jenkins, K.H., A. Berger. 2012. Summer Annual Forages for Beef Cattle in Western Nebraska. NebGuide G2172.
- Rasby, R., K.H. Jenkins, G.E. Erickson. 2012. Beef Report Summaries. NebGuide G425.
- Jenkins, K.H., D. Griffin, L.A. Stalker. Management, Health, and Nutritional Considerations for Weaning Calves. 2011. University of Nebraska NebGuide G2057.
- Berger A.L., B.M. Johnston, K.H. Jenkins. Wintering and Backgrounding Calves. 2011. University of Nebraska NebGuide G2064.
- Jenkins, K.H., R. Rasby, T. Klopfenstein, A. Stalker. Crop Residues or Low Quality Hay Combined with Byproducts as a Forage Substitute. 2011. University of Nebraska NebGuide G2099.
- Jenkins, K.H. Feed Value of Alternative Crops for Beef Cattle. 2010. University of Nebraska NebGuide G2036.
Areas of ExpertiseBeef Cattle