Forrest S. Lee, a lifetime resident of Cherry County, is a commercial cattle rancher. After attending the University of Nebraska during the years of 1928-1930, he rented the ranch on which he now resides as a 2800 acre unit in 1934. In 1954 he purchased the ranch which has since been increased to a 10,000 acre unit of which 6800 acres are deeded and the remainder leased. A 500-cow commercial Hereford cow-calf-yearling operation is maintained on which health and performance data are recorded. Mr. Lee has cooperated with the University of Nebraska on numerous occasions offering his cattle and ranch for such research activities as meadow grazing, the study ofsystemics for grub control and field testing of calf scour vaccines.
He has been active in numerous local, state and national associations including past President of Sandhills Cattle Association, past President of Nebraska Stock Growers Association, past President of Nebraska Livestock Breeders and Feeders Association and past Chairman of the Nebraska Livestock Industry Committee. Active in the American National Cattlemen's Association, he served as Chairman of both the Research and Brucellosis Committee. In 1963 he served as Chairman of the Coordinated Beef Improvement Conference, sponsored by the American Society of Animal Science and the American National Cattlemen's Association. He represents the Nebraska Stock Growers Association at U.S. Animal Health Association meetings and was appointed by Secretary of Agriculture Clifford Hardin to the National Cattle Industry Advisory Committee. He served as a member of the Dean's Advisory Committee and in 1968 was given the "Nebraska Builder" award by the University of Nebraska.
Mr. Lee has given freely of his time and talents to improve commercial cattle ranching in the state of Nebraska and to promote the livestock industry throughout the nation.