He grew up on a farm near Oldenburg, Germany. Henry arrived in David City in June of 1925 and went to work on the farm where he lives now. He enrolled at the University of Nebraska, not to get a degree, but to try to become a part of American life and society. After farming for awhile near Ulysses, Henry came back to his present home place in 1932.
The Klostermans – Henry and son, John, turn all they produce into beef. They feed 1,500 to 2,000 head of calves a year.
The Klosterman farm totals 1,600acres, with over 800 acres irrigated mostly in corn. Between 600 to 700 acres in grass, alfalfa and some small grain. There are nine irrigation wells, with pumps operated by natural gas.
Henry was a member of the College of Agriculture and Home Economics Advisory Council and was one of the most effective leaders in the Council's effort to make all Nebraskans aware of the needs of their University—in research, teaching and extension. The Council helped to convince the Legislature that building funds must be made available if the University was to serve Nebraska adequately. But Henry Klosterman has helped Nebraska build more than structures. He has stood for every kind of progress that might help his state. He has been a member of the Nebraska Resources Foundation since it was formed in 1947. He represented the Division of Nebraska Resources at President Eisenhower's Conference on Technical and Distribution Research for the Benefit of Small Business in 1957.
He is chairman of the Big Blue River Watershed Planning Board, a member of the David City Chamber of Commerce, and is a Trustee of the University Foundation.
In 1964 the University of Nebraska Regents named him a Nebraska Builder, the University's highest award for distinguished service.