C2206f AnS Lincoln, Nebraska 68583-0908
- Ph.D., 2006-Kansas State University, Animal Science
- M.S., 2003- Kansas State University, Animal Science
- B.A., 1996- Rockford College, Biology
PREVIOUS POSITIONS HELD
- Associate Professor (2012-present) University of Nebraska
- Assistant Professor (2006-2012) University of Nebraska
- Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (2001) Kansas State University
I am a nonruminant nutritionist with training in animal nutrition, digestive physiology and mucosal immunity. I am interested in applying applied and basic techniques to investigate the complex interactions between nutrients, gut microbes, and immunity and how these interactions affect complex physiological traits important in human health and in agricultural species. Currently, at the University of Nebraska, my research is focused in two main areas:
1) Characterization of the metabolic impact immune system activation and disease has on a growing pig's metabolism and growth
2) Evaluating the in vivo and in vitro effects of pre- and probiotics on growth, immunity and nutrient transport.
- ASCI (NUTR) 927: Protein and Amino Acid Nutrition
Semester: Spring (even numbered years)
Summary: Nutrition and metabolism of proteins and amino acids by animals and humans. Fundamental principles and current concepts.
- VMED 550: Veterinary Nutrition
Summary: Introduce basic biochemical aspects of metabolism and function of energy, protein, fat, minerals and vitamins in the diet. Determine nutrient requirements of food and companion animals under various physiological states. Understand fate of various nutrients in simple stomached animals, ruminant, and cecal fermenters. Discuss clinical nutrition problems specific to each species.
- Kreikemeier, C., T. Engle, K. Lucot, S. Kachman, T.E. Burkey, and D.C. Ciobanu. 2013. Genome-wide Analysis of TNF-alpha Response in Pigs Challenged with Porcine Circovirus 2b. Animal Genetics. Submitted.
- Carney-Hinkle, E.E., H. Tran, J.W. Bundy, R. Moreno, P.S. Miller, and T.E. Burkey. 2013. Effect of dam parity on litter performance, transfer of passive immunity, and progeny microbial ecology. J. Anim. Sci. J. Anim. Sci. 91:2885-93.
- Tran, H., R. Moreno, E.E. Hinkle, J.W. Bundy, J.Walter, T.E. Burkey, and P.S. Miller. 2012. Effects of lactose and yeast-dried milk on growth performance, fecal microbiota, and immune parameters of nursery pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 90:3049-59.
- H. Tran, R. Moreno, E.E. Hinkle, J.W. Bundy, J.Walter, T.E. Burkey, and P.S. Miller. 2011. Effects of corn distillers dried grains with solubles on growth performance and health status indicators in weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 90:790-801.
- Davis, B.L., J.N. Fraser, T.E. Burkey, K.A. Skjolaas, S.S. Dritz, B.J. Johnson, and J.E. Minton. 2010. Oral inoculation with Salmonella enterica serovars Typhimurium or Choleraesuis promotes divergent responses in the somatotropic growth axis of swine. J. Anim. Sci. 88:1642-8.
- Aperce, C.E., T.E. Burkey, B. Kukanich, B.A. Crozier-Dodson, S.S. Dritz, and J.E. Minton. 2010. Interaction of Bacillus spp. and Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium in immune/inflammatory signaling from swine intestinal epithelial cells. J. Anim. Sci. 88:1649-56.
- Burkey, T.E., K.A. Skjolaas, S.S. Dritz and J.E. Minton. 2009. Expression of porcine Toll-like receptor 2, 4 and 9 gene transcripts in the presence of lipopolysaccharide and Salmonella enterica serovars Typhimurium and Choleraesuis. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 130:96-101.
- Burkey, T.E., K.A. Skjolaas, and J.E. Minton. 2009. Invited Review: Porcine Mucosal Immunity of the Gastrointestinal Tract. J. Anim. Sci. 87:1493-501.
- Burkey, T. E., K. A. Skjolaas, S. S. Dritz, and J. E. Minton. 2007. Expression of Toll-like receptors, interleukin 8, macrophage migration inhibitory factor, and osteopontin in tissues from pigs challenged with Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium or serovar Choleraesuis. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 115:309-19.
- Skjolaas, K. A., T. E. Burkey, S.S. Dritz, and J. E. Minton. 2007. Effects of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium, or serovar Choleraesuis, Lactobacillus reuteri and Bacillus licheniformis on chemokine and cytokine expression in the swine jejunal epithelial cell line, IPEC-J2. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 115:299-308.
- Fraser, J.N., B.L. Davis, K.A. Skjolaas, T.E. Burkey, S.S. Dritz, B.J. Johnson, and J.E. Minton. 2007. Effects of feeding Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium or serovar Choleraesuis to weaned pigs on growth performance and circulating insulin-like growth factor-I, tumor necrosis factor alpha, and interleukin-1 beta. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1161-7.
- Skjolaas, K.A., T.E. Burkey, S.S. Dritz and J.E. Minton. 2006. Effects of Salmonella enterica serovars Typhimurium (ST) and Choleraesuis (SC) on chemokine and cytokine expression in swine ileum and jejunal epithelial cells. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 111:199-209.
- Johnson, B.J., S. S. Dritz, K. A. Skjolaas-Wilson, T. E. Burkey, and J. E. Minton. 2005. Interactive responses in gut immunity, and systemic and local changes in the IGF system in nursery pigs in response to Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. J. Anim. Sci. 83: p. E48-56.
- Burkey, T.E. S. S. Dritz, J. C. Nietfeld, B. J. Johnson, and J. E. Minton. 2004. Effect of dietary mannanoligosaccharide and sodium chlorate on the growth performance, acute-phase response, and bacterial shedding of weaned pigs challenged with Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium. J. Anim. Sci. 82:397–404.
- Burkey, T.E. , R. Moreno, E.E. Carney, and P.S. Miller. 2008. Effect of dried corn distillers grains with solubles (DDGS) on growth performance of growing-finishing gilts with previous exposure to DDGS in the nursery. J. Anim. Sci. Submitted. (abstr.)
- Burkey, T.E. , and S.S. Shepherd. 2008. Polarized interleukin-8 (IL8) secretion by swine jejunal epithelial cells (IPEC-J2) treated with soluble beta-glucan (BG). J. Anim. Sci. Submitted. (abstr.)
- Burkey, T.E., P. S. Miller, R. Moreno, S. S. Shepherd, and E. E. Carney. 2008. Effects of increasing levels of distillers dried grains with solubles (DDGS) on growth performance of weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. In press. (abstr.)
- Moreno , R., P.S. Miller, and T.E. Burkey. 2008. Effect of increasing lysine/net energy concentration on growth performance and plasma urea nitrogen concentration of late-finishing barrows fed low-protein amino acid-supplemented diets and Paylean. J. Anim. Sci. In press. (abstr.)
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Animal Science Department