Areas of ExpertiseExtension
- M.S., Animal Science/Meat Science, University of Idaho, 2020
- B.S., Animal Science and Agricultural Business, South Dakota State University, 2018
- Youth Meat Animal Extension Assistant Professor, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, June 2020-Present
- Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, University of Idaho, August 2018-May 2020
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, South Dakota State University, August 2017-December 2017
- Merchandising Intern, POET Nutrition, 2017
- Public Relations Intern, Ag United for South Dakota, 2015-2016
- Buseman Angus, Canistota, SD, 2010-2018
- ASCI 300A: Meat Evaluation, Grading & Judging (1 cr)
Summary: Comparative evaluation of meat characteristics of beef carcasses, beef primal cuts, pork carcasses, pork primal cuts, and lamb carcasses. Federal grade standards for beef carcass and application of USDA Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications.
- ASCI 400A: Advanced Meat Grading & Evaluation (2 cr)
Summary: Comparative evaluation of the meat characteristics of beef, pork, and lamb that affect product merit and the scientific basis of the factors that influence the relative value. Federal meat grades and their application, industry grading system and their application, and application of Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications. Application of the above topics, as well as critical decision making and written justification of meat product merit, practiced in-depth.
- Buseman, B.J., G.K. Murdoch, J.A. Nasados, J.H. Smart, J.M. Lancaster, J.B. Van Buren, K. Insausti, M.E. Doumit, P.D. Bass, T.M. Weber, W.J. Price, M.J. Colle. 2020. Free calcium concentration, calpain-2 activity and final product tenderness of electrically stimulated beef. Meat and Muscle Biology. Accepted.
- Weber, T.M., M.J. Colle, G.K. Murdoch, B.J. Buseman, J.M. Lancaster, J.B. Van Buren, J.A. Nasados, and P.D. Bass. 2020. Using genetic panels to predict tenderness in beef cattle. Meat and Muscle Biology 4(1). doi:10.22175.mmb.9549.
- Weber, T.M., B.J. Buseman, J.A. Nasados, J.M. Lancaster, J.B. Van Buren, J.H. Smart, P.D. Bass, G.K. Murdoch, K. Insausti, and M.J. Colle. 2020. Assessing outcomes of genetic selection panels to predict marbling in crossbred beef cattle. Translational Animal Science. doi:10.1093/tas/txaa077
- Buseman, B.J., G.K. Murdoch, J.A. Nasados, J.H. Smart, J.M. Lancaster, J.B. Van Buren, K. Insausti, M.E. Doumit, P.D. Bass, T.M. Weber, W.J. Price, M.J. Colle. 2020. Free calcium concentration, calpain-2 activity and final product tenderness of electrically stimulated beef. Meat and Muscle Biology. doi:10.22175/mmb.10635.
- Puga, K.J., J.B. Van Buren, J.A. Nasados, B.J. Buseman, P.D. Bass, K. Insausti, and M.J. 2019. Alternative merchandising strategy of the top round. Meat and Muscle Biology 3(2). doi:10.22175/mmb2019.0174
CERTIFICATIONS AND CREDENTIALS
- Pork Quality Assurance Plus, Advisor, 2019
- Developing and Implementing HACCP, FSNS, 2019
- Preparing Future Faculty; University of Idaho, 2019
- FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food, 2019
- Beef Quality Assurance, 2019
- Masters of Beef Advocacy, 2015
- American Society of Animal Science
- American Meat Science Association
- National Agri-Marketing Association
- National Angus Association
- International Livestock Congress Student Fellow, 2020
- Certified Angus Beef Young Leaders Seminar, 2019
- SDSU Economics Department Outstanding Student in Agriculture, 2018
- South Dakota Agri-Business Association Young Leader in Agriculture, 2016