Is there an individual or an animal that has inspired you to pursue an education and career in animal science?
- Incoming freshman or transfer student for 2023-2024 academic year.
- Must plan to enroll in the animal science program at UNL the Fall 2023 semester. Scholarship cannot be used at NCTA, UNO, or UNK.
- Must be an admitted animal science major. Pre-vet majors are not eligible.
- Immediate families of University of Nebraska employees or those living in the same household as a University of Nebraska employee are not eligible to enter this competition.
- Tell us who (animal or person) has inspired you to pursue an animal science degree through a digital story. Examples to create your submission include video, infographic, pictures, essay, or any other mediums that allows you to express yourself. All digital stories are accepted. Be creative!
- Your submission may utilize any production techniques and artistic composition as long as it on topic, complies to the rules, and is appropriate. A submission may not contain offensive, libelous, sexually explicit, disparaging or altogether inappropriate content and may not defame or otherwise violate the rights, copyrights, trademarks, or rights of publicity, privacy, or reputation of any third party. A submission may not contain any material to promote sale of a product or service.
- Maximum video length should be no more than 3 minutes and recommended length of essays is 2 pages, double-spaced, size 12 font.
- Entrants must complete the online entry form and upload their digital story at the end of the form.
TEN WINNERS WILL BE SELECTED AND RECEIVE:
A $5,000 scholarship to be used for the 2023 – 2024 academic year. This is a non-renewable scholarship. The student will receive $2,500 in the fall semester and $2,500 in the spring semester.
- Submissions will be judged by a panel appointed by the Animal Science Department Chair that includes current Animal Science faculty, staff, and students. Members of the judging panel will consider the following criteria in making their selections:
- Creativity in the content selection & presentation
- Alignment with contest parameters
- Effectiveness in highlighting the contest parameters
- Overall presentation quality
- The decisions of the judges are final and incontestable
- Except as otherwise provided above, whether any Submission is selected as a winner, and the final amount, will be at the sole discretion of the judges.
- Winners will be notified via email by January 20th.
- Submissions will be accepted from all eligible individuals. Each entrant is solely responsible for the information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags, and other materials included in the submission.
- A submission must be original and the entrant must:
- hold all necessary rights to all materials, images, videos, graphics and information in the submission or
- have permission from the holder of such rights, or
- the materials, images, videos, graphics and information in the submission must be in the public domain.
- Employees of the University of Nebraska and their immediate families or those living in the same household as a University of Nebraska employee are not eligible to enter this competition.
- The competition opens November 1, 2022 and will close at Midnight on January 6, 2023, U.S. Central Standard Time. All entries must be received prior to the closing date and time in order to be considered.
How to Enter
Each individual contest participant is restricted to one submission only. Entrants must fill out all required fields on the entry form and submit their digital story. After submitting the application, the entrant will be notified via email that their entry has been received.
Additional Requirements and Disclaimers
By entering this competition, each individual entrant (and for individuals under 19 years old, the individual’s parent or guardian) grants the University of Nebraska (UNL) a worldwide nonexclusive, royalty-free, transferable license to use the content, or any portion thereof, for UNL purposes, and grants UNL a world-wide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable license to use the entrants’ names, likenesses, photographs, voices, sounds and/or biographical information for advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes.
If selected as a winner, each individual (and for individuals under 19 years old, the individual’s parent or guardian) hereby agrees to irrevocably grant and assign exclusively to UNL all rights, including copyright interests in the content, under all laws, treaties and conventions throughout the world, in all forms, languages and media, now or hereafter known or developed without limitation. Use, publication, or dissemination by winners of their respective content may be permitted at the discretion of UNL, as approved in writing in advance by UNL.
Submitting content to this competition does not guarantee that the submission will be displayed or used by UNL.
Use by UNL of a submission does not necessarily reflect the views of UNL, and in no event shall UNL assume or have any responsibility or liability for any Submission, in whole or in part, or for any claims, damages, or losses resulting from the use and/or appearance of any submission or the contents thereof.
UNL reserves the right to refuse any submission in its sole discretion. UNL also reserves the right at any time during the competition to remove or disqualify any submission when it believes in its sole discretion that the entrant has: (i) infringed any third party's copyright; (ii) failed to comply with these Terms and Conditions; or (iii) failed to obtain the necessary consents as set out in these terms and conditions.
Video platforms (TikTok, YouTube, etc.) are not affiliated in any way with UNL, and UNL does not assume any responsibility or liability for an entrant’s participation in or use of any third-party website.
UNL shall not be liable for any claims, costs, liabilities, damages, expenses, and losses arising out of (i) UNL's use of the submission; (ii) the entrant's participation in the competition; (iii) technical failures of any kind including but not limited to problems or delays arising from software or equipment malfunctions or computer viruses; and (iv) any events outside UNL's reasonable control.
By entering this competition, each individual entrant (and for individuals under 19 years old, the individual’s parent or guardian) represents and warrants that: (i) the individual is the sole author, creator, and owner of the submission; (ii) except for material used by permission, none of the intellectual property rights in the Submission, or any portion thereof, has been assigned or transferred to anyone that is not the entrant; (iii) the submission, through its creation and its submission as an entry, does not violate any applicable laws; (iv) the Submission, through its creation and its submission as an entry, does not infringe upon or violate intellectual property rights held by any third person or party.
Any entrant who supplies false information, enters the Animal Science: Inspiring Your Future Scholarship Competition by fraudulent means, or is otherwise determined to be in violation of the eligibility criteria or terms of the Inspiring Your Future Scholarship Competition shall be ineligible for any prize and shall be required to forfeit any prize obtained based on such information or means.
By entering a submission in the Contest, each individual entrant (and for individuals under 19 years old, the individual’s parent or guardian) agrees to comply with and be bound by the official rules and decisions of UNL.
All references to UNL contained herein refer to the Department of Animal Science on behalf of the University of Nebraska.
This Contest is void where prohibited. The Contest shall be governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Nebraska.