Assistant Professor/ Swine Nutrition
C2206f AnS Lincoln, Nebraska 68583-0908
- Ph.D., 2006-Kansas State University, Animal Science
- M.S., 2003- Kansas State University, Animal Science
- B.A., 1996- Rockford College, Biology
PREVIOUS POSITIONS HELD
- Assistant Professor (2006-present) University of Nebraska
- Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (2001) Kansas State University
Research interests include using basic and applied techniques to investigate interactions between animal nutrition and the immune system. Current projects include the following:
- The effects of dam parity on progeny health status and performance
- Effect of distillers dried grains with solubles on weanling pig performance and gastrointestinal health
- Beta-Glucan as an immunomodulator in porcine immune cells and enterocytes
- ASCI (NUTR) 927: Protein and Amino Acid Nutrition
- ASCI 421/821: Advanced Animal Nutrition
Summary: Advanced course dealing with the nutrition of domestic animals. In-depth overage of nutrients, nutrient metabolism, and nutrient requirements. Biochemical and physiological functions of nutrients in life process.
- Burkey, T. E. , K. A. Skjolaas, S. S. Dritz, and J. E. Minton. 2007. Expression of toll-like receptors, macrophage migration inhibitory factor and osteopontin in tissues from pigs challenged with Salmonella enterica serovars Typhimurium and Choleraesuis. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 115:309-19.
- Skjolaas K.A., T.E. Burkey, S. S. Dritz, and J. E. Minton. 2007. Effects of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium, or serovar Choleraesuis, Lactobacillus reuteri and Bacillus licheniformis on chemokine and cytokine expression in the swine jejunal epithelial cell line, IPEC-J2. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 115:299-308
- Fraser, J.N., B.L. Davis, K.A. Skjolaas, T.E. Burkey, S.S. Dritz, B.J. Johnson, and J.E. Minton. 2007. Effects of feeding Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium or serovar Choleraesuis to weaned pigs on growth performance and circulating insulin-like growth factor-I, tumor necrosis factor alpha, and interleukin-1 beta. J Anim Sci. 85: 1161-1167.
- Skjolaas, K.A., T.E. Burkey, S.S. Dritz and J.E. Minton. 2006. Effects of Salmonella enterica serovars Typhimurium (ST) and Choleraesuis (SC) on chemokine and cytokine expression in swine ileum and jejunal epithelial cells. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 111:199-209.
- Johnson, B.J., S. S. Dritz, K. A. Skjolaas-Wilson, T. E. Burkey, and J. E. Minton. 2005. Interactive responses in gut immunity, and systemic and local changes in the IGF system in nursery pigs in response to Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. J. Anim. Sci. 83: p. E48-56.
- Burkey , T.E. S. S. Dritz, J. C. Nietfeld, B. J. Johnson, and J. E. Minton. 2004. Effect of dietary mannanoligosaccharide and sodium chlorate on the growth performance, acute-phase response, and bacterial shedding of weaned pigs challenged with Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium. J. Anim. Sci. 82:397-404.
- Burkey, T.E. , R. Moreno, E.E. Carney, and P.S. Miller. 2008. Effect of dried corn distillers grains with solubles (DDGS) on growth performance of growing-finishing gilts with previous exposure to DDGS in the nursery. J. Anim. Sci. Submitted. (abstr.)
- Burkey, T.E. , and S.S. Shepherd. 2008. Polarized interleukin-8 (IL8) secretion by swine jejunal epithelial cells (IPEC-J2) treated with soluble beta-glucan (BG). J. Anim. Sci. Submitted. (abstr.)
- Burkey, T.E., P. S. Miller, R. Moreno, S. S. Shepherd, and E. E. Carney. 2008. Effects of increasing levels of distillers dried grains with solubles (DDGS) on growth performance of weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. In press. (abstr.)
- Moreno , R., P.S. Miller, and T.E. Burkey. 2008. Effect of increasing lysine/net energy concentration on growth performance and plasma urea nitrogen concentration of late-finishing barrows fed low-protein amino acid-supplemented diets and Paylean. J. Anim. Sci. In press. (abstr.)