216 L.W. Chase Hall
For more information on Dr. Koelsch, please visit his webpage through the department of Biological Systems Engineering
- Ph.D. in Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Animal Science minor, from Cornell University, 1992
- M.S. in Agricultural Engineering from Kansas State University, 1977
- B.S. in Agricultural Engineering from Kansas State University, 1975
- Extension Administrative Intern (0.3 FTE): University of Nebraska, 2006-Present
- Associate Professor at the University of Nebraska 2001-Present
- Assistant Professor at the University of Nebraska, 1995-2001
- Senior Extension Associate at Cornell University, 1978-1995
- Extension Associate at Cornell University, 1978-1982
- Research Associate at Kansas State University, 1976-1978
AWARDS AND HONORS
- NASULGC Excellence in Extension Regional Award (2006)
- ASABE Presidential Citation (2006)
- ASABE Standards Development Award (2006)
- ASABE Blue Ribbon Award for "Agricultural Environmental Management Systems" educational bulletin series (2006)
- G.B. Gunlogson Countryside Engineering Award for outstanding delivery of environmental engineering knowledge to the agricultural community presented by American Society of Agricultural Engineers (ASAE)
- ASABE Membership Development Council (2007 - present)
- ASABE SE-01-02 Structures and Environment Division Executive and Steering committees chair (2005-06) and member (2002 - present)
- ASABE M-155 Gunlogson Countryside Engineering Awards Selection Committee (2007 - present)
- Member of multi-state project S1032 - Improving the Sustainability of Livestock and Poultry Production in the United States (formerly S1000)
- Six month study leave with USDA Natural Resources Conservation service's Animal Husbandry and Clean Water program with focus on policy implementation issues (2004)
- Program Chair for International Symposium on Animal, Agriculture, and Food Processing Wastes (2003)
- National Center for Animal Waste Management, NC State University, Policy Advisory committee member (2002-2005)
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- Associate Member of ASABE (1977 - present)
- Kissinger W. F., Koelsch, R. K., Erickson, G. E., and Klopfenstein, T. J. 2007. Characteristics of manure harvested from beef cattle feedlots. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 23(3): 357-365.
- Hudson, T. D., J. H. Harrison, R. K. Koelsch. 2006. Livestock-influenced water quality risk assessment tools. Journal of Extension. 44:5 Article Number 5TOT7. http://www.joe.org/joe/2006october/tt7.shtml .
- Risse, L M, W L Bland, R K Koelsch, E A Bird, and T M Bass. 2006. An American Experiment with Environmental Management Systems for Livestock and Poultry Operations. Farm Policy Journal, Australian Farm Institute. 3(4) 23-32.
- Koelsch, R., J. Lorimor, and K. Mankin. 2006. Vegetative treatment systems for open lot runoff: review of literature. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 22(1)141-153.
- R. Koelsch (editor). 2006. Vegetative treatment systems for open lot runoff, a collaborative report. USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service. http://www.heartlandwq.iastate.edu/ManureManagement/AlternativeTech/vtsguidance/ 173 pages.
- R. Koelsch. Evaluating livestock system environmental performance with whole-farm nutrient balance. J. Environmental Qual. 34:January-February 2005, 149-155.
University of Nebraska - Lincoln Animal Science Department