Nebraska Youth Beef Leadership Symposium
November 17 - 19, 2017
Applications Available Soon!
Application Deadline: TBD
If you're selected to participate, a $75 registration fee will be needed. This covers the cost of hotel, meals, and materials.
Freshman through Seniors
The annual Nebraska Youth Beef Leadership Symposium will be held at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Animal Science Complex on December 2 - 4. The symposium is designed to introduce youth to careers opportunities and current issues in the beef industry, as well as offer education and practice in the use of leadership skills.
For the fourth year, the NYBLS planning committee is inviting freshman and sophomores to participate in an effort to reach students at an earlier point in their high school years, as well as continuing to give them a quality hands-on program, the schedule and program have expanded into two sessions. This year we will be running the Freshman/Sophomore sessions and the Junior/Seniors simultaneously so some of the sessions will be joint with the Junior and Senior group and some will be separate. We decided to give this a try to better utilize our speakers/presenters as well as some of our resources.
The freshman and sophomores will have an opportunity to:
- get more of an introduction to the beef industry
- interact with faculty and learn about the current research, meat science, beef quality assurance, and marketing
- introduction to careers.
- will have the ability to put their team and leadership skills to work by completing a project
- will have the opportunity to do an infomercial about beef and the benefits of beef in the diet
At the Sunday luncheon we will conclude the first group sessions and the participants will show their final projects to parents and guests.
The junior and senior group will have an opportunity to:
- get more in-depth information about the beef industry
- interact with faculty and learn about genetic markers, reproduction, environment/manuare management, and antibiotic resistance
- develop and market a beef product and work with a professional chef from Omaha Steaks
- learn more about career opportunities in the beef industry
At the Sunday luncheon we will conclude with this group and they will present their new products and marketing plan to a panel of judges. Parents and guests will also get a chance to taste their products!
CASNR Scholarships will be awarded to a few junior/senior participants!!!!
Department of Animal Science
A103 Animal Science
Lincoln, NE 68583