C221 Animal Science Building
Master of Agriculture, University of Nebraska-Lincoln May 2009
Major Area of Study: Animal Science and Agriculture Leadership
- Minor: Agricultural Economics
- Thesis Title: The Effect of Acid Detergent Insoluble Nitrogen on Nitrogen Digestibility of Lactating Dairy Cattle
Bachelor of Science, University of Nebraska-Lincoln August 2006
Major Area of Study: Animal Science
- Dairy Extension Educator University of Nebraska-Lincoln, July 2015- Present
- Director of Education and Biofuels Development, Nebraska Corn Board 2011-July 2015
- Research Project Coordinator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2009-2011
- Graduate Assistant, University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2007- 2009
Memberships & Affiliations
- Nebraska Agribusiness Club
- Nebraska Cooperative Extension Association
- Grow Nebraska Dairy Team
- Nebraska State Dairy Association, Ex-Officio
- American Dairy Science Association
Dairy Extension Advisory Committee
- Originated this committee to collect input related to dairy extension programs and workshop in Nebraska. This committee consists of UNL faculty, dairy producers, nutritionists and consultants, veterinarians, dairy supply companies and a milk cooperative.
I-29 Moo University
- This five state consortium of Extension Educators and Specialists and state dairy associations from Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota coordinated a heifer growers tour in October 2015 touring four heifer growing facilities in southwest Minnesota and northwest Iowa with 90 dairy producers and university faculty in attendance. In January 2016, this group organized a winter workshop series titled "What is Your Pregnant Cow Worth?" This week long series hosted workshops in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska. 150 dairy producers, students, veterinarians, dairy consultants and university faculty were in attendance.
Dairy Website – Dairy.unl.edu
- Co-developed the dairy website in 2016 along with Dr. Paul Kononoff for Nebraska dairy producers.
- Managed the day-to-day content and updates to the website.
- Moosletter: This monthly newsletter targeted at Nebraska dairy producers and allied industry members originated in September 2015 and receives 250 views, on average, each month.
- Moo University: This monthly newsletter targeted at dairy producers in the Upper Midwest began in October 2015 and is coordinated by extension educators and specialists from Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota. 650 dairy producers and industry members view this newsletter each month, on average.
- Originated Twitter and Facebook social media accounts
- Twitter: @NEDAiryExt activated September 2015 – 80 Followers
- Facebook: NEDairyEXt activated December 2015 – 117 Likes
- Youth for the Quality Care of Animal curriculum reviewer – 2015
This national quality care program developed new curriculum for youth ages 8-21 focusing on food safety, animal well-being and life skills.
- Served as chairperson for the 2011 I-29 Dairy Conference and collaborated with Extension Specialists and Extension Educators from University of Nebraska-Lincoln, South Dakota State University, North Dakota State University, Iowa State University, and University of Minnesota to plan the annual I-29 Dairy Conference and develop leadership and educational workshops for dairy producers along the I-29 corridor; oversaw a $20,000 budget, agenda, theme, and program objectives for the two day conference along with I-29 colleagues and communicated with speakers, attendees and others
UNL Dairy Education Day
- Executed the program by planning and coordinating the educational program along with Dr. Paul Kononoff and the Nebraska State Dairy Association in 2008, 2009, 2010. Organized events such as poster presentations by graduate students, dairy facility tours, and presentations by program speakers
Quality Assurance----Youth 4-H
- Designed, coordinated and planned 2008 Youth Quality Assurance Program. Implemented new modules: 1) Dairy 2) Rabbits and Poultry. Designed, created and established 8 learning activities for use in the Quality Assurance training and conducted training session for Nebraska 4-H and Extension Educators
- FARM certified evaluator and trainer, National Dairy Farm Program: Farmers Assuring Responsible Management, National Milk Producers Federation. Certification to be completed February 2016.
- Castillo-Lopez, E., K. J. Clark, H. A. Ramirez Ramirez, T. H. Klusmeyer, G. F. Hartnell, and P. J. Kononoff. 2014. Performance of dairy cows fed silage and grain produced from second-generation insect-protected (B.t.) corn (MON 89034), compared to parental line corn or reference corn. J. Dairy Sci. 14:7894.
- Clark, K. J., P. J. Kononoff, L. O. Tedeschi. 2010. Evaluation of estimated diet energy intake and impact on energy use of the lactating dairy cow. J. Dairy Sci. 93(Suppl 1): 719.
- Ramirez–Ramirez, H. A., A. R. Geis, C. S. Heine, K. J. Clark, A. M. Gehman, and P. J. Kononoff. 2010. Study of storage conditions of wet corn distillers grains with solubles when stored with other feeds and understanding effects on performance of lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. Submitted.
- Clark, K. J. and P. J. Kononoff. 2009. How to formulate lactating dairy rations to include corn milling co-products. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension Publication G1999.
- Machacek, K. J. and P. J. Kononoff. 2009. The relationship between acid detergent insoluble nitrogen and nitrogen digestibility in lactating dairy cattle. J. Prof. Anim. Sci. 75:701-708.
- 2009. Second Annual Dairy Education Day. Approval 9/21/2009. Additional Team Members: Jeff Keown and Kimberly Machacek. Action Plan: Food Production & Natural Resource Systems.
- Kononoff, P. J., A. M. Gehman, K. J. Machacek. 2008. Utilization of corn co-products in the dairy industry: Feeding distillers grains plus solubles to lactating dairy cattle. Nebraska Corn Board. Original Publication.
- Kononoff, P. J. and K. J. Machacek. 2008. Corn silage considerations when feeding corn milling co-products. Four State Dairy Nutrition and Management Conference p 9-14.
- Machacek, K. J. and P. J. Kononoff. 2008. Demonstration of a formulation approach to include corn-milling co-products in lactating dairy rations. J. Dairy Sci. 91:(Suppl 1):22.
- 2008. Annual Dairy Open House and Education Day. Approval 9/18/2008. Additional team members: David R. Smith, Jeff Keown, Kimberly Machacek. Action Plan: Food Production & Natural Resource Systems.
- St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church-annual church fundraiser committee 2012-Present
- St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church-religious education instructor 2011-2012
- Agriculture Awareness Festival- Program Presenter, Mead, NE 2008-2010
- 4-H Rabbit Clinic-Program Presenter, Fremont, NE 2008
- State FFA Contest-Judge for Agriculture Sales Competition, Lincoln, NE 2008
- Pase Contest-Judge for Quiz Bowl, Lincoln, NE 2008